If there was one thing you could do that would instantly improve your life, what would it be?
Eat healthier? Exercise more? Drink more water? These are great ideas, but the best thing you can do to improve your life is to get more sleep.
Sleep is hard for a lot of us. Here are just a few sleep facts from the American Sleep Association that might surprise you.
- 50-70% of US adults have a sleep disorder
- 37.9% of adults have reported unintentionally falling asleep during the day
- 35.3% of adults surveyed reported less than 7 hours of sleep during a 24 hour period
These are just a few of the sobering facts about sleep. The reality is, most of us are not getting the right kind of sleep or enough of it. The average US adult needs between 7-9 hours of sleep. But how many of us actually get that much?
Sleep is important. It helps your body rest, reduces stress, and improves your health. Many of our patients struggle with sleep. A lot of vein health issues that we see can have negative effects on your sleep. Watch for these symptoms:
- Leg pain or swelling
- Hot, itchy skin
- Restless legs
- Feeling like ants are crawling up your legs
- Leg cramps
These are just a few of the vein symptoms that can wreak havoc on your sleep. Poor sleep is disruptive to your life and your health. It’s been linked to chronic illness, obesity, depression, and anxiety. So what can you do to improve your sleep? Try a few of these tips.
- Exercise more
- Drink more water during the day and not right before bed
- Get more sunlight
- Stay off your phone and away from screens a few hours before bed
- Establish a regular bedtime and routine
- Reduce your caffeine intake, especially later in the day
- Stop napping
- Reduce your alcohol intake
These tips will help you get better and restorative sleep, but they won’t get rid of the vein-related symptoms that may wake you up. The only way to address those issues is to seek vein treatment.
Please make an appointment with our clinic. We’ll start with an ultrasound to find any underlying issues that may be causing your symptoms. Then our doctors will recommend a treatment plan to help get rid of the problem.
Vein-related health problems like varicose or spider veins will only get worse without treatment. Don’t wait until these issues have completely disrupted your life. If they are already affecting your sleep quality, then it’s time to make an appointment.